Monday, July 14, 2014

Starting Fresh

       Well I had the energy...and the day off yesterday, so I decided it was time to make some small changes. 
       We as a family have a habit of saving leftovers yet NEVER EAT THEM! We have really good intentions, but we always drop the ball. Half of us have been brought up to think leftovers are a bad thing (my bonus kids), and the other half (me, my husband and my biological kids), just plain forget their in the ice box! Ugh! Such waste going on! And with five kids we really need to buckle down again like we used to do. Making meals at home, Bringing lunches to work, eating leftovers, and then the basics....turning lights off, fixing things before we throw them out for new things. 
       I have a couple of things I do to save a little money. I make my own laundry detergent. I have been for about 6 years. I had also started mending and up cycling clothes. When the older kids grow taller, the pants become capris or shorts. For the girls I even added fabric to the bottom of shirts to give them length to last longer. It's not much but getting them in the habit helps. 
        NOW....as of yesterday....the fridge is cleaned out and we're starting a no waste food week. I explained to the kids what that entails and they are on board. I also am baking our bread again, which saves money even if it's just a small amount. I'm also canning tomato sauce for spaghetti and canning fruit and jelly/preserves. 
          Here's a pic of our fridge on Sunday

Plus the fridge door (cause that gets chaotic!)

              I'll post daily this week to show our progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment